Sunday, May 5, 2013

"How to" not let expectations ruin reality

This scene in the movie "500 Days of Summer" is one of my favorite scenes in this movie because the format and the way they portrayed Tom and his disappointment. It exposes Tom's expectations and thoughts. But also shows the reality of his relationship with Summer.

Expectations Ruin Reality.
 
I expected  him to grab my shoulder and pull me in for a hug-
 yet in reality i pretended not to see him.
 i didnt want him to ruin my night-- 
i was done with being disappointed and hurt. 
                                                                     
I expected her to call, she knew i was going through
                                                                             rough patches, but i should have called cause so was she.
                                                                            but in reality we were both self centered and we
                                                                              both waited by the phone. helplessly. 
I expected to get stickers or race car
in the bottom of my lucky charms. but in reality
I got jipped. not so Lucky after all.
I expected you to remember
cause i thought we were best friends
but in reality, that phrase "Best friends"
 gets thrown around too much.


I expected my dad to come running
when I screamed because there was a spider in our kitchen,
but in reality he expected me to grow up
and smash it with my little sisters bright purple croc. by myself.


I expected that purple rubber croc to squish the spider
that croc let me down, the spider got away. 
I knew i expected too much out of that 
ugly pointless shoe. I'm embarrassed for my little sister. 
 

I expected my mom to be disappointed and mad
when i came in long after curfew.
yet in reality she knew something was wrong 
and wrapped me in her loving arms. she was there
for me and she always will be.

I expected my teacher to careless about me,
i expected her to be disappointed and embarrassed.
yet in reality she cared for me like one of her own daughters.
she gave me advice to be more confident-
she told me not to let others shoot me down,
she told me to realize how important i am.


I am far from perfect, so why do i think its okay for me to criticize everyone when they disappoint me? so that's the trick everybody. realize. realize that people will be disappointed in me because i won't live up to their expectations. but also realize that when you have little or no expectations you will be pleasantly surprised and happier. you will feel appreciation for the little things. when in reality are the big things.
Don't expect things from people if they cant expect the same from you. step it up- be better and expect less.

2 comments:

  1. A good reminder. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this was a great idea!
    and it helped me a ton!
    so thanks a ton!

    ReplyDelete