Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Scabs, Scars, and Bruises


I fell hard. When I hit rock bottom I looked up and saw people who I wanted to be so I got up with them. Pretending to be strong. I looked around to see if anyone saw me fall flat. Nope, coast is clear. No one knew I fell except me. I still see those scabs, scars, and bruises even if no one else does. The thing about scars is that each one on our body has a story behind it. Those stories are reminders to never make the same mistakes. My neighbor played with a rattle snake and got bit. He has a scar on his wrist. He learned from that mistake and so did I. I need those bruises to remind me to guard myself of dangerous situations and dangerous relationships.  How do I know you won’t hurt me? Why do you deserve my friendship? Why do you deserve my love? Why do you deserve my trust? But that’s the beauty of it. I need Scabs. I need scars. And I need bruises because I need to find out for myself who to trust with my heart. Scabs, scars, and bruises are necessary for life- because we need to learn and progress.

3 comments:

  1. "How do I know you won’t hurt me? Why do you deserve my friendship? Why do you deserve my love? Why do you deserve my trust? But that’s the beauty of it."
    Consider the line stolen. Because it is. It is because that is what I think every single day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "And I need bruises because I need to find out for myself who to trust with my heart."
    I liked this line, and I also like how your posts are so uplifting. Thanks for your beautiful writing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so nice and wonderful. Thank you. Also, I stole a couple lines.

    ReplyDelete